Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Jack Daniel's Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook, Volume 1 By Lynne Tolley and Pat Mitchamore


 The rich tradition of southern cooking combined with the distinctive taste of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey gives an interesting view into the heritage of rural American cuisine.  This cuisine is elegantly captured in Jack Daniel's The Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook, which contains more than 350 recipes, stunning full-color photographs, and stories of the people, places, and traditions of Middle Tennessee.

Table of Contents:
   1. Drinks: pages 11-26
   2. Appetizers: pages 27-36
   3. Soups & Salads: pages 37-56
   4. Vegetables: pages 57-78
   5. Breads: pages 79-94
   6. Entrees: pages 95-118
   7. Outdoor Cooking: pages 119-130
   8. Desserts: pages 131-154
   9. Cakes and Pies: pages 155-174
  10. Accompaniments: pages 175-182
  11. Index 183

My Personal Opinion:
As someone is who is severely allergic to gluten, wheat, eggs, chicken, beef, soy, and certain types of fish I am forced to change many of the ingredients to fit my diet. I do enjoy these recipes but I can not say how they taste using the ingredients called for in the book as it has been years since I have tasted many of the ingredients. For example I always substitute flaxseed when eggs are called for in a recipe. A change such as this alters the flavor and texture of the recipe a great deal.  That said I enjoy this cookbook and recommend it to those who love good southern cooking.

Substitutes for allergy suffers:
Below are some ideas for those who have allergies to common ingredients. These are some of the ways I found to make the dishes in this cookbook eatable. 
  1. Flaxseed can in be used in most recipes to replace whole eggs, and the use of egg whites. (as long as the dish is not something mainly composed of eggs)
  2. Turkey can be used instead of chicken.
  3. Pork or deer meat can be used to replace beef.
  4. Ground turkey works very well in place of ground beef when making hamburgers.
  5. Gluten/wheat free corn flour can replace other types of floor though this takes a lot of trail and error.
  6. Premixed pancake or bread mixes can replace the use of normal flour. I always use one of the allergy free mixes found at Winn-Dixie as I find it hard to get the substituted ingredients to turn out right on my own. 
Where to buy?:

No comments:

Post a Comment